Making every bite count

09 March 2007

what a week

I'm home on a Friday night, loving every moment of my sloth. I've had a long but good week, and I deserve some time to veg.
Tonight's dinner was less than nutritious: baked potato wedges and a Boca cheeseburger.
Food 911 featured Israeli food a few weeks ago, and a woman learned how to make falafel. I decided to alter the falafel recipe a bit and then bake it instead of frying it. I served it with a spicy curry sauce and some yummy steamed veggies.
The recipe:
2 cups chickpeas, dried
1/2 t cumin
1/2 t red pepper flakes
1/4 t salt
1/2 t black pepper
water to cover
Place chickpeas and spices in a bowl, cover with water and allow to soak in the fridge at least overnight. Drain and reserve water before proceeding.
In a food processor, add:
3 cloves garlic, smashed
1/2 c onion or 1 bunch green onions, roughly chopped
1 egg
Pulse until roughly chopped, then add the chickpeas and pulse until a mealy looking paste forms. Add a little cooking water and the egg, pulse again.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a loaf pan with olive oil, pack in the chickpea mixture and bake 30 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.
Slice and serve.
I've also served it with a simple tzatziki sauce or just plain yogurt and sliced tomatoes.
Chickpeas are my new favorite legume/carb.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home