Making every bite count

14 January 2008

Korean feast for the fam

My family had never tried Korean food, so I made them a few dishes on Sunday. My sister Kaitie wanted to try sushi, so I made (above, left) California rolls (more American than Korean or Japanese), which she then refused to try. The rest of us liked them. Korean food can be spicy, so I opted for bulgogi (above, right) and broiled tofu with bulgogi marinade.
Bulgogi
1 pound beef, cut into bite-size pieces
1/4 c sesame oil
2 T grated fresh ginger
3 cloves garlic, minced or grated
1/2 c soy sauce, reduced sodium
2 T sesame seeds
2 T sugar
4 green onions, chopped
3 carrots, cut into large sticks
Mix and soak beef and vegetables for an hour or so. Broil on high until beef is no longer pink. (About 10-15 minutes.) Serve with rice and steamed veggies.
The bulgogi was a hit. There were no leftovers.
Kimchi soup with seafood, tofu and poached eggs was another story. Plenty of leftovers, even though everyone at least tried it. Too spicy, too sour, too odd, too many vegetables. It wasn't a favorite of anyone but me.
I also made: cucumber salad, which was a hit. (2 cucumbers, seeded and chopped; 2 T sesame oil; 2 T soy sauce, 1 T sesame seeds. Mix and serve.)
Seafood pancake (1 green onion and 1 carrot, minced; 1 egg; 1 cup flour; handful mixed frozen seafood. I use Trader Joe's mixed squid-shrimp-scallops. Mix all ingredients together and pour in omelet pan, which has been coated with sesame oil. Cut into bite-size pieces and serve warm or at room temperature. I served the beef with lettuce, but no one liked it that way. The plate of lettuce went untouched.

2 Comments:

At 17 January, 2008 20:47 , Blogger Slopette said...

Nice apron June Clever.

 
At 28 January, 2008 14:13 , Blogger Reverb said...

Hi there - I can give you contact info about the food co-op...email me at detzelpretzel@gmail.com and I'll pass along the phone numbers.

Be blessed,
Ryan

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home