Making every bite count

06 January 2008

just my luck

My camera is at Fred's; we're staying at my place tonight. So no picture of the spicy and flavorful -- and unbelievably simple -- Tunisian Tomato Soup with Chickpeas and Lentils (modified from Mollie Katzen's Vegetable Heaven.)
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 cup lentils, rinsed (I soaked them with the spices this morning because I realized I didn't have tomatoes and couldn't cook the soup!)
1 28-ounce can tomatoes (crushed or diced)
1 green onion, chopped (recipe calls for 4 cups minced onion. Again, I was out of this! My pantry is empty until Tuesday!)
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon turmeric
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon cinnamon
salt and pepper to taste, plus a few healthy shakes of red pepper flakes
handful cilantro, chopped
1 teaspoon olive oil
Heat oil over medium heat and add garlic and onion. Cook two minutes, then add the lentils (which have had been soaking with the spices). Add water to cover, then add tomatoes and chickpeas. Simmer 10 minutes, then season with salt and pepper. Serve with cilantro.
My recipes are mostly for my memory, but feel free to point out whether I've missed a step or overlooked something.
Tonight we also had some oat bran-whole wheat biscuits with feta cheese and raisins. Not too bad. Fred liked them -- I rarely make any carb except cooked whole grains, so he was very impressed with the biscuits. They weren't bad, and I added flaxseed to bump up the fiber even more!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home