Making every bite count

14 November 2007

broccoli is delicious

I had a terrible weekend. From Thursday night to Sunday afternoon, I didn't cook a single meal. Not since Korea or vacation have I had such a run like that. And I wasn't exactly making smart meal choices. I was a bit depressed and incredibly stressed, which tends to break my willpower.
I had: eggplant parmesan at Bella Luna, extra spicy drunken noodles at Rise and Shine, a calzone from Portofino, (oh, the shame and embarassment) a Taco Bell seven-layer burrito (it is vegetarian, but still!!!), pizza from Dewey's and a Buddha bowl from Shanghai Mama's! Huh?
I've been redeeming myself since then. Pumpkin soup and kimchi fried rice (a bit of a misnomer, considering there's only 1 teaspoon of sesame oil in the entire dish), pomegranates, pumpkin seeds, chickpeas and fibery dumplings, and now... broccoli with salmon salad.
What a great idea! Instead of lettuce or another green with chicken, tuna or salmon salad, why not broccoli? It's SO full of fiber and nutrients.
No guilt when you eat an entire broccoli crown.
Instead of mayo or other fatty dressings, I used a yogurt and vinaigrette dressing.
1/4 c low-fat yogurt (35 calories; 1 g fat)
1/2 t Dijon mustard (free)
2 t red wine or cider vinegar (free)
1 t dried tarragon (free)
1/2 t dried thyme (or 1 sprig fresh thyme) (free)
1 t flax seed (adds crunch and Omega-3 fatty acids!) (17 calories; 1 g fat)
Mix ingredients together. Season with salt and pepper.
Mix in one can tuna or salmon. (Trader Joe's cans wild Alaskan salmon -- 60 calories and .5 g fat per serving)
Per serving: less than 80 calories ... about a gram of fat... but if you eat the whole dish, it's still only 232 calories or so. Add a cup of steamed broccoli (30 calories total and NO FAT!)
Another favorite new snack: apple slices (1 large apple=100 calories) dipped in 2T hummus (50 calories; 2 grams of fat).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home