Making every bite count

03 February 2008

weeknight meals

My body feels really good right now. I've been eating well and doing yoga. I feel strong, lean and healthy.
This week was full of great food, only some of which was photographed.
A simple salad made from odds and ends around Fred's place is near the top of the heap: a head of red romaine, a can of organic black beans (drained, rinsed, with two cubes of frozen basil and a pinch of red pepper flakes), a slice of cornbread, and a guacamole dressing (an avocado, 2 T yogurt, 2 diced roasted red peppers, 4 chopped green onions and a pinch of red pepper flakes).
I had quite a bounty of produce lasst week and integrated greens into quite a few meals.
I've been thinking about Swiss chard as an alternative to cabbage for rolls. I made a quick dinner last Tuesday after yoga and ended up with a great new snack idea: Instead of throwing out the tough, fibrous stalks, I cut them off and filled them with almond butter. What a fun replacement for celery stalks. If you used rainbow chard, I think kids would love these. The taste is milder than celery, but the texture is the same.
I placed roasted red pepper chickpea spread and a sprinkling of onion and pepper inside a Swiss chard leaf, then covered it with some leftover curry sauce. I baked them for 15 minutes at 350.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home