Making every bite count

21 September 2008

Why I do what I do...

Some people are dog people. Others are kid people. I'm a vegetable person. 

I love 'em, but only in season. Don't you dare feed me asparagus in August, and if you try to feed me a cold tomato, I'll stab you with my fork. 

(Left: A smattering of heirlooms from the Thistlehair Farms booth at Findlay Market.) 
I don't buy produce from grocery stores. 
I keep most vegetables on the counter so their taste fully develops. 
I shun cold tomatoes, lettuce that's straight from the fridge and mealy apples. 
I shop the perimeter of stores. 
I joined a food co-op to ensure I always have local, organic food. 
And I urge you to do the same, if you're able. 
My body, after two years of eating locally and organically, has completely adapted. I'm almost fed up with tomatoes, and the beauties I've roasted, pureed and frozen will tide me over until next year. Sorry, but we're not meant to eat insalata caprese year-round in Ohio, nor should we be expected to endure cold mealy, anemic supermarket Flavr Savr tomatoes. (A misnomer indeed.) 
At left, a salad made from co-op and market produce: Pea sprouts, avocado, tomatoes, basil and balsamic vinegar. 



Labels:

1 Comments:

At 26 February, 2012 20:22 , Anonymous AcoNKfast said...

maybe you must read my raw food diet articles to get some diet delicious food

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home