Making every bite count

27 March 2007

p.s. this makes me happy

This makes me happy. Saturday, I reached the checkout at Trader Joe's only to realize that I'd left my canvas and mesh shopping bags in the car. So I apologized to the cashier -- and btw, there was no line and I would have waited in line again without complaint -- and I walked out to my car at the far end of the parking lot and grabbed my reusable bags. I felt like a good person.
Things that anger me at the grocery store:
*double bagging
*cashiers that a.) look at you strangely if you ask for paper bags; b.) look at you even more strangely when you say you brought your own bag
*people who are too lazy to walk their carts back to the
cart corral
I'm happy tonight, because I've worked out and eaten well this week, so no more complaints.
Easy recipe:
Korean-style spinach
1 c frozen spinach or 2 c fresh spinach
a few drops sesame oil
1 capful tamari or reduce-sodium soy sauce
a few shakes red pepper flakes
a hearty shake of sesame seeds
Nuke until hot. Stir eat. Spinach=calcium, vitamin K, iron; sesame seeds=(The seeds are rich in manganese, copper, and calcium (90 mg per tablespoon for unhulled seeds, 10 mg for hulled), and contain Vitamin B1 (thiamine) and Vitamin E (tocopherol). They contain powerful antioxidants called lignans, which are also anti-carcinogenic. They also contain phytosterols, which block cholesterol production. Sesame contains one lignan unique to it called sesamin. The nutrients of sesame seeds are better absorbed if they are ground or pulverised before consumption)

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 28 March, 2007 09:20 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

where did you get your reusable bags, anyway? i've been searching the 'net for the best deal on reusable bags and can't seem to find any (a) large enough, or (b) that cost under $15 a bag. Also, how does one know how many to buy for a 1 person household?

 
At 29 March, 2007 19:56 , Blogger stepfanie said...

I use random canvas bags I've amassed over the years, at conventions, from press kits, etc. I also have this great mesh bag that I got from Old Navy for $1.99 on clearance. Check their sale racks for random bags. Mine is silly-looking, with pink camouflage. Hey, it works. Try a thrift store, too. I rarely use more than two at Trader Joe's or Wild Oats. I shop 2 times a month or so, plus fresh produce in between.
As far as shopping for one, I think the best advice is to plan ahead. Buy for a recipe or a theme, don't just buy a ton of random items. And expect to eat the same dish three meals in a row -- or freeze it. I am the queen of freezing. I cook for four or whatever, then portion it out. I take my lunch to work, so I most always eat leftovers. It saves money, and it's usually nutritionally superior to what I'd otherwise eat.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home