Making every bite count

09 March 2007

Skinny lasagna

The word tofu is a turnoff for many people, so I try to avoid using it when discussing dishes.

Two weekends ago, my fridge and cupboards were pretty bare but I wanted something warm and filling. I've been trying to make a dent in the random food in my freezer, so I pulled out a few things. Cooking need not be exact; this is a prime example of that. Mix, match, learn what flavors and ingredients work well together.

The finished project:

It was surprisingly good. Some of my experiments are a bit scary!
from pantry:
no-bake lasagna noodles
1 small can diced tomatoes
spices (1 t oregano, 1/2 t red pepper flakes, dried garlic, parsley, etc. This was a mix I bought it Italy last year.)
olive oil
from the black hole that is my freezer, so duh, thaw them:
roasted red peppers (1/2 cup, chopped)
basil pesto (a few tablespoons)
frozen spinach (thawed and drained well)
from the fridge:
Pecorino Romano
1 package firm tofu
some Greek-style plain yogurt


Directions:

Mix some of the spices into the drained spinach. Drain the tofu and slice horizotally (ideally in 1/4 inch slices). Place between dish towels, sprinkle with spices and press well to dry it. Drain some of the juice from the tomatoes. Mix the pesto and the tomatoes together.
Grease a loaf pan with olive oil. Place a spoonful of tomatoes in the bottom, top with a lasagna noodle, then alternate tofu slices, spinach, tomatoes and yogurt. Top with a sprinkling of Pecorino Romano cheese. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Allow to rest 10 minutes, then slice. The tofu has the same texture as ricotta cheese, and the yogurt provides the mouth feel of cheese. The Pecorino on top offers saltiness. I like lasagna, and when I'm in the mood for it, there's no substitute. But this dish is a nice take on that rich dish. it's low-fat and very healthful. As the picture shows, itt was a bit soupy, so I might press the tofu better next time. But it was delicious!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home