Making every bite count

25 October 2007

OK, ok

an explanation:
nope, not creme brulee. But close: easiest custard ever.
Cut off tops of tiny pumpkins, scoop out seeds and reserve tops. Sprinkle insides with cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice.
Mix one egg (or an egg white), one cup of vanilla soymilk, one tablespoon of brown sugar and a shake or two of cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice.
Pour into pumpkins and bake at 350 degrees until set, about 10 minutes.
Scoop out the pumpkin flesh with the custard when you serve it. And serve with the tops on!
I'll bet you're wondering why I have so many tiny pumpkins chez moi. Easy answer: I took them from a food and clothing drive. I robbed the needy of food, you say? No, not exactly. We gave pumpkins to people who donated and had dozens left over. Everyone else planned to set them out as decoration, but in my world, a jack-o-lantern or a tablescape (http://www.yelp.com/topic/new-york-think-you-hate-sandra-lee-let-s-make-it-interesting) is a waste of a good pumpkin. You're out of your gourd if you think I won't cook up those little pumpkins!
Tonight I'm going to make mini quiches inside pumpkins. If you're lucky (If I remember), I'll post it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home