Making every bite count

22 December 2009

My Best Granola

If there is a better combination than yogurt, fruit and granola, I haven't found it. In my breakfast fantasies come true, thick, creamy, tangy Greek yogurt provides a base for tart and sweet fresh berries, while crunchy, sweet and salty granola offers a delightful contrast in flavor and texture.

Granola is PRICEY! There are a few brands I really like, but I can't justify buying a small bag for $4, when I can make pounds of granola for much less.


Once you know the basics of granola making, your imagination and pantry are your only limits. I started making my own a couple of years back, and honestly, I don't use a recipe anymore. I have two versions: a molasses one and a maple-almond butter one, but I never measure or use the recipes.


It isn't a science. You need oil, sweetener, some dried fruit, nuts, seeds and maybe some spices.


I prefer molasses or maple syrup for my sweetener, coconut oil to crisp it up, and plenty of ground flax and chia seeds for nutrition and flair.



Most often, I make the almond butter-maple granola. It's really easy.


Maple-Almond Butter Granola

Ingredients:
1/2 c maple syrup

1/4 c coconut oil

1/4 c almond butter

1 T cinnamon (or more if you prefer your granola to have a stronger cinnamon flavor)

2 1/2 c. rolled oats

1/4 c ground flax

1/4 c chia seeds

1/2 c chopped nuts/seeds (almonds, walnuts, pepitas)

1/4 c unsweetened coconut

1/2 c mixed dried fruit (cranberries, blueberries, raisins)

liberal sprinkle coarse salt


Directions:

Mix maple syrup, coconut oil and almond butter together. If your coconut oil is at room temperature, you might need to melt it first.


Mix oats, coconut, and cinnamon together, then add to wet ingredients.


Pour onto a baking sheet in an even layer. (I use a silicone baking sheet liner, but you can coat the pan with nonstick cooking spray if you prefer.) Bake at 300 degrees for about 30-40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. I like my granola to be somewhat "raw."


Immediately upon removing the granola from the oven, add the chia, flax, seeds/nuts and dried fruit. (The fruit swells and gets sticky in the oven, and raw nuts/seeds retain more of their nutrition.)


Add a sprinkle of kosher salt and toss well. The salt really brings out the sweetness and other flavors. Makes 15 1/4-cup servings!


Calories: 197.5
Total Fat: 11.0 g
Dietary Fiber: 5.3 g
Protein: 4.0 g
I gave away this granola to friends and family this year. It was a big hit!

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 04 January, 2010 04:19 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice post & nice blog. I love both.

 
At 04 January, 2010 18:49 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 04 January, 2010 19:08 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 09 August, 2010 17:57 , Blogger The Star Anise said...

Nice recipe! I need something for a friend who need carb snacks when her blood sugar drops and she switches off. This may well be an exciting way to prevent it!
Any ideas for a sugar free version?

Come visit amiaconnoisseur.blogspot.com

 
At 12 September, 2010 06:01 , Anonymous christine said...

Sounds interesting. Lovely Maple-Almond Butter Granola recipe. If you wont mind I'd love to guide Foodista readers to your post. Just add the foodista widget to the end of this post so it will appear in the Foodista pages and it's all set, Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home